Single-parenting serves as a global phenomenon that is actually on the rise. In lots of societies single-parent families are seemed to be dysfunctional, as well as having the contributors to many social ills. Studies targeted on the single-parent family have predominantly geared toward the dysfunctions associated with this family structure and ways in which this nontraditional family design is disparate that are caused by the traditional two-parent or extended family.
Despite the global living the single-parent family structure for a number of years, most societies remain to be challenged with their permission to embrace and support this phenomenon dictated by idea two adults supporting one other among the raising children will be the only true definition of family.
The strengths of single-parents are usually shadowed by myths and negative assumptions. A study of social work students’ view of single- parent families revealed that whereas the students perceived women and people of color as oppressed, they didn t have the same opinion of single-parents. Instead, they viewed the single-parent status to spoil your day are the effect of individual choice that means you have self-imposed hardships. Rhodes & Johnson (2000) recommend that there’s a history of a “social injustice issue” that separates the single-parent population from other in jeopardy populations.
Common myths regarding single parenting:
Two adults supporting another in the raising by kids will be the only true definition of family.
Single-parent families are abnormal and dysfunctional.
Single-parent families are contributors to many societal ills.
Single-parent families typically are not part of an oppressed group.
Single-parent families certainly are a vulnerable group with no identifiable strengths.
Single-parenting is an outcome of individual choice and poor judgment.
The hardships experienced by single-parent families are self-inflicted.
Never-married single moms are promiscuous females with poor judgment.
Single-parent families are problematic and doomed for failure.
Boys raised by single moms are destined to end in prison.
Girls raised in single-parent households could become single mums themselves.
The teenage single-mother population primarily comprises of black, poor, urban girls.
Residing in a single-parent household is a threat onto the emotional and physical well-being of an infant.
- Parenting & Discipline : How to Discipline Your Child Without Yelling or Spanking - December 15, 2016
- How Childhood Trauma Affects Parenting - December 15, 2016
- Parenting the Sensitive Child with Julie Rosenshein - December 15, 2016
- The Parenting Mistake That Makes Teens Push You Away | Oprah’s Lifeclass | Oprah Winfrey Network - December 15, 2016
- parenting alone - December 15, 2016
- Parenting solo, you’re not completely alone - December 15, 2016
- Episode 3- Parenting – What To Do When Doing It Alone - December 15, 2016
- Any advice for single parents in parenting alone? With Kelly Nault-Matzen - December 15, 2016
- Any advice for single parents in parenting alone? WithKelly Nault-Matzen - December 15, 2016
- Struggling with parenting? You are not alone - December 15, 2016